Tuesday, March 1, 2011

My fab Four Survivors

Survivors......We all know them, We admire their strength, their faith,  their desire and passion to make a difference. No, Not Charlie Sheen or Linsday Lohan, they will NEVER be survivors.

Survivors.....they are true heroes.  Debt, Divorce and broken bones do not count. In my line of work I have Run a marathon for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, I have walked for The Relay for Life and The American Cancer Society, spoken on behalf of Breast Cancer Awareness....there are others, but it is in these categories  you meet the Survivors. That's the most rewarding part of my job.  I have a fab four of friends that come to my mind when I think Survivor. Allow me to share and at the end of today's blog I urge you to add your survivors name to this blog.

Cindy Castner:  A TWO time breast cancer survivor. The most colorful and vibrant person that has crossed my path, we became friends quickly when  moved to Berks county. She has had a bilateral Mastectomy and breast reconstruction. She is never without a smile.

Kenny Miller:  Reading Express Assistant Football Coach.  Loss of Salivary gland, Lymph nodes are gone , some hearing in his left ear. clearly a long haul with chemotherapy. Another unbelievable story and survivor. A family man, friend and incredible coach, and now speaks out against the use of smokeless tobacco products.
                                  

Dena Dietrich :  One of my very best friends. Aneurysm. I still remember where I was, what I was doing, and how I reacted. Its like a gunshot. You cant do anything about it. The next thing I knew Dena was being life flighted to Philly. It was a long process of recovery and it scares you to death to know people just die suddenly with no rhyme or reason. You just never know. Dena looks awesome and is back to work. When I went to visit with Dena I passed out in her hospital room and had to be admitted. Quite the story. We should save that for another day.



Stacy Brown:  The light in my darkness :) Aneurysm. Stacy is AMAZING. Owner of Sunshine Wellness Resources and mother of 3, friend of many. We have laughed together and cried together. When I see her dedication to everyone else it just makes me realize her determination to make others grow in faith is great.


survivor - one who lives through affliction.

Celebrate the Survivors, we learn from them, we grow from them. Life's many detours turn into perfect journeys.

shout out your Survivor today!

1 comment:

  1. My survivor hero is my son, Brandon. Diagnosed 1 week shy of his 21st birthday in 2003 with testicular cancer which had brain & lung mets. After an orchiotomy, 3 brain surgeries, Gamma knife procedure and many weeks of inpatient chemo at Hershey Med Center Brandon is now cancer-free!
    It was an agonizing 18 month ordeal but Brandon never once gave up or lost his spirit. He truly is my hero! Love him!

    ReplyDelete