Monday, March 21, 2011

YORKVILLE

Oh the good ole days! Yorkville is where I grew up. The West side of town. This blog is dedicated to my Yorkville friends. And my Yorkville school teachers, Miss Lewars celebrated a birthday last week and it reminded me of one of the nicest teachers. along with Mrs Alban, Miss Fox (Mrs. Purcell) Mrs Foreman ( who told me I had a VIVID imagination in 3rd grade!) and Mrs Rubendall. I sang 16 tons at the Fourth grade talent show.


There are a few things that you have to think of when people say YORKVILLE
The Yorkville Hose Company
The Yorkville School
The Yorkville Drug store.
The Yorkville Block Party
Browns Candy Store
Barrets Candy Store (thanks Joe!)
Burger King
Coney Island
Acme
Rotary Playground

So many great memories.  Crushing on every one of my brothers friends...especially Johnny W.  I grew up with my dad and brother firefighters at the Yorkville Hose Company, it didn't matter what time of the night it was, you would hear that whistle blow (and we lived 4 houses away) and my dad and brother would race down the steps and RUN to the "Hosie" , scanners would be left on as loud as one can imagine, they were dedicated and honored to be lifesavers and I will be forever proud of them.

The neatest thing is my three best friends all lived within a stones throw from my house. Heather, Debbie and Ginene. We had the BEST times, and of course we STILL do. Another slumber party planned for April in the Poconos!

Summers were spent at Rotary playground, I used to steal my dads loose change he would leave on his dresser and go to the concession stand and then sit and watch Economy supply and wait for Billy Derbes to bat. We never really got into any trouble. We had sleepovers all the time. We would swing on the swings and at the end of summer the Yorkville Block party meant it was time to get ready for another school year.

Winters we would wish for snow days so we could go sleigh riding down the Rotary playground hill or better yet the cemetery hill, we would literally start at the top by sharp mountain and zig zag in and out of tomb stones...seriously,who does that?

I was a good kid, ended up dating an East side boy by the time high school rolled around,  (Pat D.)but it was all good...My dad came from the East side.

Things have changed...alot. But one thing that remains the same is the  YORKVILLE BLOCK PARTY. its a reunion of friends from the past and you always know one thing is for sure, you might not see or talk to one another all year but that second Tuesday in August is penciled in year after year. Bleenies, bean soup and bingo...its the best.

Yorkville was a great place.

Dicellos, Keitsocks, Wollyung, Osts, Nabholtz, Scheibelhuts, Speece, Sams, Bartons, Gardners, Reilys, Burns, Orlowskys, Cresinas,Hahners, Cavanaughs & Snyders ,Aungst, Russos, Joyce, Minchoffs, Greenburgs, Laplaca, Steinberger, shylan, Moran, Bottos, Delany, Shuman (all 20 of them) Norkus, Kauffmans, Perez, the list goes on.....be sure to add your name to this list of  "Yorkville" kids .

We had a good life, that's for sure. I wouldn't change a thing.

1 comment:

  1. You brought back some great memories of Norwegian St!! Thanks for the time travel!
    It truly was a wonderful life as a "Yorkville Kid" !!

    ReplyDelete