Saturday, March 26, 2011

Richie

Friday afternoon March 25 2011

John and I were driving to pick Holly up from school on just an ordinary day, it was cloudy, cold and I was excited to know I had no real plans for the weekend. I would be home bound.

As we looked down one particular street there were orange cones blocking it, a coroner, the police and a hearse. It wasn't good. And we knew exactly whose house it was. Putting the pieces together you can see where this story is going.
This is Richie, 16 years old. That smile says everything. His dedication to his friends. His short lived 16 years as a son, a brother, a young man who wanted to please the world but not enough energy to carry on his will to live.
Not only my son, but numerous young men and women who attend Muhlenberg high school knew Richie, who are now asking hundreds of questions, some of them cant be answered. We think to ourselves WHY? How could things be a little different to make someone's daily struggles easier?

I spoke to Eric last night, I just tried to tell him that being 16 isn't so easy. But it will get better, its like looking through foggy glasses at the moment, but things do work themselves out. And the glass does get clear. I told him that there are so many decisions to make, choices to make, a future to unravel. For whatever reason Richie took his life, he left behind friends and family that are in mourning, parents who are thinking of how to make it better on his friends. I can see this group of kids bonding and never forgetting the legacy of Richie, they will tell each other stories, they will laugh, they will cry, they will grow, but one thing for sure is they will never forget. "The CREW" as they called each other. They have gone through alot. 

Its a tragedy my young friends. But talk to your parents, one another, lean on each other, never lose your faith. That's the most important piece of the puzzle.

As I lay in bed last night thinking and remembering what I knew of Richie, I came up with that little phrase just for you Richie.

"A heavy heart can't always be heard, but your beat will stay strong"

The sun shines today, the birds sing, your lives live on kids. The road may become narrow, but you have all the tools get where you need to be.

RIP Ritchie. You are loved.  3-25-11

No comments:

Post a Comment