Monday, May 9, 2011

Let the music play

Look, I'm not a newspaper reporter and I am certainly not going to make any difference in a school districts budget cuts, However I am an individual in the music industry and I think my tune needs to be heard.

I was an athlete in school , a runner on both the track and cross country teams for 4 years. I never learned how to read music or play an instrument, but Mr. Kiener, and Mrs Peyakovich were two of the greatest music teachers I ever knew. It was in fourth grade I had the courage to get up on stage and sing at our talent show at the Yorkville School, 16 tons. I had a little choreography number to go along with that song I sang all by myself, and you know what? It was those music teachers that gave me the courage to do what I do today. I can play the cowbell for The Uptown band, and the tambourine for MIXX..that's where it ends. But I was encouraged to use my talent of making people smile and being very outgoing.

Playing in instrument is no different than being athlete. You need to practice, you need dedication, you need to take pride in your talent.  Sports activity reduces stress...so does music, crossing a finish line gives you the greatest feeling in the world, so does that final note of a song. sports requires discipline, so did heathers mom as she made her practice day after day after day on the piano. Sports are Fun, music gives you the right notes to create a playground of your own band.

Music Inspires, Music is my therapy. Suppose you never heard a bird chirp, or a dog bark, a cat meow, its music in its own way.

don't share the silence, let your music play LOUD. The music, the singing, the talent, the arts, its all part of your make-up on a dreary day.  Try putting up your Christmas tree without any lights this year.......pretty boring right? That's exactly what it would be like if you silence music programs in schools. Better yet Turn on the radio tomorrow morning.....there is nothing there. tired of the same music day after day? These kids are trying to better their talent, and someone wants to take it away.

very sad. My heart is with all the students who are reaching for guidance from the adults who want to take it all away.

I'm going to make a little music of my own before I go to sleep, I play the air guitar, bang on the desk, and sing GLORIA GAYNOR I WILL SURVIVE  until I see the neighbors lights go on. 

Here's to our younger generation tonight....when you get out of school tomorrow, ask the bus driver to TURN IT UP!

No comments:

Post a Comment