Wednesday, April 27, 2011

A very Special day

The sky was a bit gray, but I made sure the rains held off at Kutztown University for The Special Olympics. I was honored to run the track with 4 different athletes and have them carry the torch . I was amazed by the athlete who sang the National Anthem and Jess who took that microphone and said the oath. 

"Let me win. But if I cannot win, let be brave in the attempt."  Let me be brave....and brave those athletes are. Running, throwing a softball, jumping, playing basketball, hockey, they do it with a smile and give their 100%
I started to get a little overwhelmed by the crowd, the volunteers, the teachers, and the coaches. It was amazing. It was so special. The real fun was watching them win their medals and their ribbons. They appreciate what they are given and they don't take for granted what they have.

Today was special, I will never forget it, I think choosing Special Olympics as a charity to help has its perks. I met some really neat people. Joey, Jess, Katie, Nick...you are all stealing my heart.

If you have the time to volunteer, throw some love their way.  Its so rewarding. But don't be surprised when you start feeling as though they are family.

Let your light shine in someone else's darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment