Thursday, April 21, 2011

Do you really have to JUDGE?

Today was simply awesome. Holy Thursday indeed. The day before Good Friday.

Today my husband had a Doctors appointment scheduled for another shot in his back because of a herniated disc.  There is a nerve against the bone and the shot will decrease the swelling. So at the moment he is laid up, but already starting to feel relief.  I do not envy anyone with back pain.

But let me back up a little after my air-shift ended I was in full "OPRAH" swing. Yesterday at about 6am one of our more faithful listeners called the show. His name.....BULLET. That's right, no last name, no real first name, we only know him as bullet.  He has to tell us a few jokes, and always makes us repeat the early morning mind bender. Yesterday he was sad. His pet rabbit passed away. He doesn't drive, and his wife has MS. From there, I was on a mission. I called my Best Male friend, Donald from Boyertown, he has been with me from the start here in Berks County, he was my wedding planner, my therapist. The one who helped me move, (numerous times) The man that would do anything for anyone, There is nothing Donald cant find, there is nothing he cant do. I asked him in a pinch....please find me a rabbit, a baby rabbit.  Three hours later , a bunny was found!!!!!

I called Bullet this morning, told him I would be over...I had no idea where he lived, or what to expect. So, he gave me directions to a little bungalow of a home in kenhorst.  I got out of my vehicle with the white rabbit with blue eyes that was all of 6 weeks old. adorable. I could not wait to make someone so happy. "bullet"
stuck his head out of the door and invited me in, I have to admit I was a little scared. he had long hair, barefoot with dirty toenails, tattoos, his eyes were glassy, and he spoke very slurred. He was so anxious to have his wife see the surprise that he had planned.   He walked me into the next room and there sat his wife. She had a walker in front of her and she looked so sad. He introduced us, gave his wife the box and said, "Happy Easter" it was priceless. She cried, picked the bunny up in her arms and they just clicked. It was truly awesome. I get more fulfilled with that than ANYTHING in the world.

As I continued talking to bullet while his wife made friends with her new little bunny. I learned that he was in Vietnam, A true Hero. Right before me, and I had judged him for the way he spoke on the phone, the way his house looked, the way he appeared. I learned he was a paratrooper in the ARMY, a sniper. LERP. Long Range something Patrol.  Pretty soon I was almost in tears, I probably couldve stayed longer however, my husband needed his nurse.

I learned alot about judging books by their covers today. I never stop learning.

Please do something nice for someone this weekend.

peace and love!
j

2 comments:

  1. Oh,and I want to make mention....I gave Bullet a big hug when I said good-bye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly a beautiful story....you have brought tears to my eyes.

    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete