Monday, July 25, 2011

Time to DOWNSIZE

It's Monday!! and we have Five months til Christmas!  I can hardly believe it! The heatwave sucked the life right out of me. This past weekend I totally relaxed. I never do that. Stayed on the couch, watched lifetime movies, had  lovey totally wait on me...it was quiet, our X's had the kids. It was nice.  I put all my worries under the rug for another day.

And then another work week approaches. I love my job, really I do... but sometimes that alarm at 4:30 pisses me off occasionally. The perk, my work day ends early!

John and I realized it is time to cut back on a few things...one of them, our gas tank. The Chevy Uplander I have been driving as "soccer mom" over the past 8 years is ready for another home. While I still call myself a soccer mom for one more year, the size of the vehicle is totally unnecessary. I am looking forward to shopping around for new wheels, and a much cheaper gas tank. Is it another milestone? Hell yes. I wont be driving a Mustang or a sporty, sassy vehicle. But, I will be driving something much smaller. 3 of the five teenagers have their license, this gives me a little breathing room, but less sleep at night when they are behind the wheel.

I always felt proud to drive kids around in my family van, it was never embarrassing, I like putting the kids sports equipment in there, and having the five kids crammed in the 7 passenger vehicle until Eric's legs got so long we thought we would have to put his head through a make shift sunroof. Its ideal with a DVD player in it, and a stereo system that plays my Barry Mannilow CD's. Yes, I even went "parking" in it occasionally with my husband. So what, when you have a house full of kids and you want OUT, a trip to the food store turns into a detour. Never a dull moment.

Downsizing...its a good thing. I'm going to say good-bye to the mileage on that Uplander with a smile. Lots of memories go along with it. Good ones. It has grown with my kids. Its been good to me. I am going to embrace this downsize. I'm looking forward to it actually. Its just "shopping around for the RIGHT wheels" that will be time consuming. let the fun begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment